Yogurt Cake with Pistachios & Saffron Icing (Gluten-Free)
It's so hard to believe it's been 4 years since I started my journey into baking full time and opening my own business. I have to be honest, it has been a bumpy road with highs and lows, but none the less, I've loved every minute of it. Getting to know you guys, meeting new friends, creating a community for all Persian pastry lovers to come together and share knowledge has been such an amazing feeling. I can't thank you enough for your love and support.
Of course I could have not done any of this without my amazing husband and his support & my talented Mahroo from Noghlemey who helped me design my website and has been encouraging me along the way <3
To celebrate this milestone, I have planned amazing giveaways for you guys that you can read about them on the website click here to see the details. And of course, to make our celebration complete we need a delicious and mouthwatering Persian cake using our favorite ingredients: pistachios, yogurt, saffron....don't we??
Yogurt Cake with Pistachios & Saffron Icing
Yields 6-8 Bake time: 40 minutes
Ingredients for Cake:
- 250g butter, softened
- 190g sugar
- 150g pistachios, finely chopped & some for decoration
- 100g almond meal
- 200g cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 orange, freshly squeezed juice & zest
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon rose petals
Ingredients for Yogurt icing:
- 100g greek yogurt
- 50g powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 drops of brewed saffron
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease two small 6" pans & dust with corn flour
- In a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, mix together the butter and sugar until soft and fluffy
- Add eggs one at a time and mix to incorporate
- Add the remaining ingredients starting with the orange zest and almond extract
- Equally divide the batter onto the pans and bake for 45 minutes or until the tester comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and let cool
Process for icing:
- Use a whisk to mix together all the ingredients until you have a smooth cream
- Use a spoon to pour the icing over the cake and sprinkle with ground pistachios and rose petals if you wish & serve.
Hope you enjoy this recipe and thank you again for being with me on this journey.