As far back as I remember, my mom has been baking this sponge cake for our birthdays; from my birthday when I was only 3 years old to my niece's birthday when she turned five, my mom's sponge cake has been the center of our celebrations. Her recipe has stood the test of time and is one of the recipes that I go to every time I crave a soft, light and delicate cake that is not overly sweet.
This cake can be a little on a dry side which makes it perfect with a cup of freshly brewed tea.
Ashi's Sponge Cake
Serves: 6-8 | Time: 50 minutes
- 2 cups(250g)Flour; sifted
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 cup + 1tbsp.(230g) Sugar
- 6 Eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup Canola oil
- 1/4 cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract
- Cardamom powder 1 tsp.
- Slivered pistachios (for top of the cake)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F (175c)
- Grease two 6" baking pans, and sprinkle some flour inside the bottom and side of the baking pans.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Using a stand mixer or a handheld mixer, whip the egg whites, until you reach stiff peaks. Add sugar to the egg whites and continue mixing until the sugar is dissolved. Add egg yolks one by one and once the eggs are completely mixed, add vanilla and cardamom.
- Mix together the wet ingredients;milk & oil, alternate adding the wet and dry ingredients, ending with dry.
- Pour the batter equally in the already prepared pans and sprinkle with slivered pistachios and place in the middle rack of your oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. Once cooled, release the sides of the cakes with a small spatula and remove from the pan.
- When you bake a cake the temperature of the oven and the ingredients is really important. Specially when you bake a sponge cake. You need to know your oven, sometimes even the temperature gauge shows 350° F , but the inside temperature is different, so I definitely recommend to purchase an oven thermometer. Also make sure that all the ingredients are at room temperature.