Raspberry Meringue Shells with Summer Berries
Its inevitable to think of summer desserts and not to crave crispy meringue shells filled with ice cream, mascarpone cream, cream Chantilly and topped with fresh & juicy strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries.
I've posted the key points on making the perfect meringue, you might want to check that post to refresh your memory on what to keep in mind while baking these gorgeous shells.
What is so lovely about this dessert is you can make everything ahead of time and just assemble it the day of your gathering. You can keep the shells in an airtight container or in a large ziplock bag and store in the fridge and make the cream 3-4 days earlier.
Prior to baking, use a round 4" ,or large, size cookie cutter and draw circles on parchment paper; fit to the size of your baking pan. Space them out so they are not too close. Turn the paper over so the pen or pencil side is underneath.
Have your pastry bag with tip #1M Wilton ready.
I have included a filling for meringue shells, but use your imagination and fill with whatever your heart desires. This can be a gluten free dessert depending on the filling you use, which mine is.
Raspberry Meringue Shells
Yields: A dozen of shells
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 drops raspberry extract
- 1 drop food coloring
- Have your baking tray covered with parchment paper with circles draw on it ready
- Preheat the oven to 199°F
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of your stand mixer or a large bowl, start by beating slowly then increase the speed until you have a soft peak, add cream of tartar
- Slowly add the sugar, then add the extract and food coloring & beat until stiff and glossy
- Place the meringue in a pastry bag and pipe to cover the circle, use a spatula to straighten the meringue, pipe around the edge 2 to 3 times, depending how high you want the shells to be.
- Pipe few extra stars for decorations.
- Place the tray in the oven for 1 & 1/2 hour, after that you turn off the oven and let the tray remain inside for another 30 minutes.
- The meringue should be completely dry, let cool completely before moving them.
Mascarpone Cream Filling
- 1 cup(250 ml) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (240g) mascarpone, cold
- 100g powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
In the bowl of your mixer or a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients and start beating until you have a smooth cream, about 5-6 minutes
If the cream is too thick and you happened to over beat the cream, add few drops of heavy cream. if It's too runny, keep on beating for few more minutes. You can't go wrong with this recipe( adopted from My Passion For Baking )
Mise en place
Raspberry meringue shells & stars
Mascarpone cream filling
Fresh berries, the more the merrier
Put together right when you want to serve it, as the cream makes the meringue shells soggy very quickly.
Start by adding a full tablespoon of cream or if you wish you can pipe your cream onto the shells, and topped with fruits. Or if you want your guests to have fun have everything ready and let them assemble their own. You can make it fun with different toppings for kids...candies, jelly beans, or chocolate chips.
No matter how you serve it, enjoy your time with friends & family this weekend.
Happy Father's Day friends,