How to Make Pistachio Paste?
Pistachios are one of my favorite baking ingredients in both Persian and French baking. I've been using pistachio paste in different pastries for a long time; from mousses to meringues to buttercream and pastry cream. This time, I'm making the pistachio paste for my upcoming tart workshop. We're going to bake a pistachio strawberry tart.
You can buy pistachio paste, but they're expensive and not easy to find in a regular supermarket. The good news is making pistachio paste is easy. I've tried few different recipes, but this recipe from Chef Christophe Michalak is a winner.
- Toasted, unsalted pistachios 125g
- Almond flour 30g
- Sugar 60g
- Water 20g
- Almond extract 3 drops
- Peanut or sunflower oil 1 or 2 tablespoon
1. Toast pistachios in a pre-heated oven for 15 minutes at 320°F
2. In a medium saucepan, mix water and sugar and bring to a boil
3. When the sugar reaches 249° F add the pistachios and mix
4.The pistachios will crystallize, that's normal: when they are covered in sugar and almost no syrup is left in the saucepan, remove them and scatter them on parchment paper to cool down slightly
5. Place the pistachios, the almond flour and almond extract in a food processor and pulse
6.Add the sunflower /peanut oil and continue to pulse until you have a smooth paste about 5 -8 minutes
Stay tuned for next week as I use this pistachio paste to make a pastry cream for strawberry fruit tart.
Until next week ...happy baking :)