How to Decorate Cookies with Fresh Flowers
I don't know about you, but having flowers around the house gives me energy and makes me happy. Last week, I bought these little wild flowers and I couldn't help myself but thinking how pretty they will look on cookies that I had baked that morning.
Then, I decided to add few little mint leaves from my little garden too. Did I tell you that mom and Bill joined forces and planned a lovely herb garden filled with mint, oregano, thyme, rosemary, and basil ? Bill is using an application that translates English to Farsi, so he's able to talk to mom without me translating. I think they do best when I'm not around;).
Anyway back to how to decorate cookies for Norouz.
Here is what you need:
- A batch of freshly baked cookies, I used this recipe
- Edible flowers and herbs of your choice
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder
- 2 tablespoon water
- A food safe brush
- In a small bowl, mix together the meringue with water until lump free and smooth.
- Cut the stems of the flowers and herbs off, rinse and let them dry. Make sure that the bottom of the flowers is flat otherwise, they won't stick to the cookies
- Sometimes, you won't be able to cut it without the whole flower falling apart, in that case, make a little indentation in the cookies to create a little space for the stem.
- Brush the top of the cookie with meringue mix, place the flower or herb on the cookie, dip your brush in the meringue mixture again and brush the top of the flower/herb. Use your fingers to hold the flower in place and make sure the flower is flat to the surface.
- Repeat the process with all the cookies and let them air dry for few hours. The cookies are best to be used fresh, but you can also keep them in an airtight container for a week. Until another recipe, I wish you lovely Spring days.