Classic French Apple Cake
I've baked and tried many different types of apple cakes but this classic French apple cake is so different from the rest. I've been wanting to bake this cake since I spotted the recipe at the Cook's illustrated magazine.
The texture of the cake is very similar to cherry clafauti and the tartness of the granny apples pairs really well with the sweetness of the cake. This custard apple-rich cake is moist, light, and wonderful dessert to have after a meal.
French Apple Cake
Yield: 9" round Bake time: 1 hour & 15 minutes
- 1 lbs. granny apples, peeled & sliced, then cut in halves
- 2 tbsp rum
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp flour, divided
- 1 cup +1 tbsp sugar, divided
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg + 2 large egg yolks, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F / 175°C
- Spray a 9" /23cm and place on a baking tray
- Place the cut apples in a microwave safe plate
- Add rum and squeeze the half of lemon over the apples
- Cover the dish with a plate and microwave for 2 minutes or until the apples are pliable and tender ; set aside to cool down
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt
- In a separate bowl, mix together the egg, milk, and canola oil
- Slowly add the flour mix to milk mixture and incorporate
- Take one cup of this batter and set aside for later use
- Add the egg yolks to the batter
- Add the cooled apples and mix
- Use a large spoon to spoon out the batter onto the cake pan
- Use a spatula to smooth out the top
- Add the 2 tbsp flour to the one cup of batter and pour over the apple batter & sprinkle 1 tbsp sugar over the top and bake at 350°F /175°C for 1 hour and 15 minute or until the edges of the cake is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, run a thin spatula around the pan to release the cake, let cool for 1 hour before removing from the pan.
- This cake can be served warm with some ice cream or cold with whipped cream and coffee
Whether you decide to serve this cake hot or cold, this cake is a feast for the palate. The tartness of granny apples with the sweetness of the cake is just to dye for.
I hope you enjoy this incredible treat and have an awesome day.