Pinwheel puff pastry with cream cheese filling
I love baking from scratch, there is a joy in bringing all the ingredients together, mix them up, watch it become something delightful that brings smiles to people's faces and warm their hearts. I do have to admit baking puff pastry from scratch isn't one of my strong suits; It's time consuming with too many steps to follow. So on the rare days that I crave Italian breakfast which is usually on the weekend, I use a store bought dough. In less than 30 minutes, I enjoy having the flaky, light, and ever so tender puff pastry with a cup of Italian coffee; pretending I'm in Italy.
To make a pinwheel puff pastry with cream cheese you need a package of puff pastry dough, cream cheese filling, and some fresh fruits. You can purchase the puff pastry at the grocery stores. I get mine from the local Persian market; these are pre-cut and in squares of 5x5", so I don't have to do this work. I've also seen the puff pastry sheets that you can buy at Von's, but you have to cut them yourself. The puff pastry dough is so versatile; you can make a savory snack or appetizer use cheese, veggies, or meat if you like. You can also fill them with cream cheese filling and fresh fruits as a delectable dessert.
Cream cheese filling:
- 8 oz cream cheese; at room temperature
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place the cream cheese and powdered sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and cream them together on low speed until smooth. With the mixer still on low, add the egg yolks and vanilla and mix until just combined.
- Place the squares of puff pastry on your baking sheet. Starting at each corner, make four diagonal cuts 1 inch long in the dough without cutting the dough in half (#2.). Fold one point in each triangular section of dough down toward the center to form the pinwheel shape (#3, #4).
- . Add a full tablespoon of cream cheese filling to the center and top with fresh berries or any other fruits that you like. Place them in the oven and bake the pastries for about 20 minutes, rotating the pan once during baking, until puffed and brown.
Remove from the oven, dust with powdered sugar and enjoy. :)