Buttery Tart Dough
I love baking tarts and I use different tart dough recipes for baking different tarts. But when I want a rich, crispy, and crumbly almost like shortbread tart, I use this recipe. It will give you the perfect tart shells that you can bake lemon tarts, fruit tarts filled with pastry cream or Nutella dark chocolate tarts. You can bake the shells ahead of time and keep them in a plastic bag and use them the day that you want to serve your tarts.
It's important not to knead the dough or over mixing it in the food processor in order to get a crispy and crumbly dough. you don't want the butter to start melting. If you happen to do that, flatten the dough, place in plastic wrap and keep in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
This recipe will give you four small 6" tarts. You will have a little bit of dough extra, you can keep in a plastic bag in the freezer and use it again when you bake another batch.
Buttery Tart Dough
Serving size: 4 | Baking time: 40 minutes
Ingredients for tart Shells:
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 8 tablespoons of butter, cold & cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons of ice water
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F/190°c. Have four tart pans Using a food processor, mix flour, sugar, and salt until combined about 5 seconds,
- Add chilled butter cubes to flour and mix until crumbly, add 3 tbsp. ice water and continue to pulse until large clumps of dough form. To get a nice and flaky dough, make sure not to knead the dough at all, the more butter chunks in the dough, the flakier the result.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces; I usually weigh my dough to get the same thickness and size; each about 95g. Use your fingertips to push the dough onto the tart pans and the sides; use a little bit of flour if the dough sticks to your fingers. Push the excess dough upward and roll your rolling pin on top to cut the excess dough, an easy method without using a knife. Cover the tart pans with parchment paper, fill with beans or pie weights and bake for 30 minutes at 375°F. Once the sides of tart shells are golden brown remove the pie weights or the beans and lower the temperature to 350°F and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Cover the tart pans with parchment paper, fill with beans or pie weights and bake for 30 minutes at 375°F. Once the sides of tart shells are golden brown remove the pie weights or the beans and lower the temperature to 350°F and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.